New Year’s Resolutions. We have all been there and done that. We have these goals and things that we want to change about ourselves and we think January 1st is the time to turn over a new leaf. When we give this topic some thought and begin to jot down what will bring about a new us in the new year, have we ever thought what is God driven and what is Man driven? Let me go a little deeper into this…
I saw that a friend was starting a new Plan in the Bible app I am sure we all have on our phones. The title was “God + Goals: How To Set Goals As A Christian.” I was immediately intrigued because I definitely find myself confusing God and Man goals. It is a 5 day Devotion, and after Day 2, I felt the need to share. This blog, this platform, is a space where I can share my views and my experiences for the sake of helping others. I have goals for this blog and the growth and influence I want to develop in 2021. In order for me to make sure I am being led by God, I have taken into account the following:
- Daily devotions and time with God. I slacked in the past, but I have made it a point to make time for God daily. I want to be open and available to hear God’s words to me. Open the word and look for scriptures that speak directly to what you are looking for or going through. 2 Timothy 3:16 says All Scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness. The Word has the answers to our needs and wants and desires, it is up to us to seek it as we prepare ourselves for change or transformation.
- Daily Prayer. I always make time to say a prayer small or big. I never want God to think that I am not grateful and thankful for everything He has done for me. As I navigate the direction I want my blog to go in, and the things I want to accomplish, I always make it a point to ask God for the desires of my heart while also asking him to allow His will to be done. If His will does not align with my want, then help me to understand and lean on Him as he shows me the way. Over the years, God has continuously shown me that my dreams are attainable and also I don’t dream big enough. Let me give a few examples:
- I wanted to move to Houston 8 years ago, and thought I knew how I would move there. I applied for a transfer with my current job and was denied. I interviewed for jobs in Houston, and God gave me a $20k raise, free relocation, and a job that allowed me to travel and see so many things. He never said no to me moving to Houston, He said let me show you I have better in store for you with the move my child.
- I got married in 2016, and was almost divorced in 2017. I had tried and tried in my relationship and marriage, and finally it came a time where God told me to remove myself. Take your hands off this situation cause it is not your job to change your husband, it is my job. God took care of me the entire way and opened my husband’s eyes to Him like I never saw. My husband created a Prayer Wall for his marriage and with time, prayer, and consistency, we were able to bounce back stronger and with child. We both now understand the importance of having God in the center of our marriage. God didnt want me to divorce my husband, He wanted me to stay with the Improved and Mature husband he created for me.
- While pregnant, God tested my marriage and my faith. My husband was offered an amazing opportunity to be a Director at his company before the age of 30. The catch was it required a move to Cleveland, OH. My husband was dead set on taking it while I had my concerns trying to find an OBGYN, support system, and somewhere to live while expecting a baby. The back and forth and hesitation on moving forward with this almost cost me my marriage. His employer finally heard my concerns and compromised. We were given a year to figure out our situation and to have my baby while my husband traveled back and forth monthly. As time went on in that year, I prayed on the move and released my fears. I told God if you want me to follow my husband then I am going to do it. I signed up for better or worse and while Cleveland winter sounded like the worse, I was going to do it and support my husband. We found a house and scheduled movers and LITERALLY the week before movers were to show up, my husband got offered a job right here in Houston. It was one of his desires when he first moved to Houston to work for an oil and gas company, and here 3 years later, it happened. God shows us time and time again if you let go of the fear and let Him do His thing, he can show you so much more than you can see.
- I am very cognizant of my circle of friends / support when I share what God is doing in my life or what I vision for myself. I cannot tell you how helpful and inspiring it is to have God loving friends and support to ask for guidance. Proverbs 15:22 says Without counsel, plans fail, but with many advisers, they succeed. I have friends, family, and loved ones that are making moves and letting God lead them to such amazing things. I celebrate their successes just as they would celebrate mine. I pray for their endeavors as they pray for mine. When writing the vision and making it plain, I share with those I know will tell me what I don’t want to hear at times while also encouraging me to keep working towards my goals.
God reveals things to us right away sometimes and with time sometimes. If you are having to wait, I promise you it is not in vain. God goes before us and makes sure all is well before things happen for us. Be patient while he gets it all ready. That moment when you see for yourself why He made you wait is such an amazing feeling. When I got my promotion at work last year, I had been interviewing and being told not yet, not you, not this job for months. I am a person that does not wait for God to show me, I act on something and allow God to block it if it is not for me. I kept applying for jobs and being told no, and when I would hear no I would say whelp that wasn’t for me. But when the right job came along and I heard yes…yall!!! The role I am in now is God sent. Right up my alley and what I want to do! Working with the right people and all! All those no’s made sense! I have wanted to find a role like this for the past 2 years, and now I see exactly why God made me wait for it.
2021 is going to be a great year for you if you want it to be. Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not unto your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge Him, and He will direct your path. If he blocks something, know that it is for your good. Seek the positive in everything. Pray on your goals and manifest on them. I promise you….you will have an amazing story to tell when this year is over.